Today, we are producing software that is more complex, more sophisticated, more productive, and more functional than ever before. Despite these advancements, the software industry continues to struggle with project failure rates. According to The Portland Business Journal, 65-80% of IT projects fail to meet objectives, finish on time or finish at or under budget. That means that on a good day only 35% of software development projects are truly successful.
So, what is the cause of so much failure? Where are we missing the mark? According to the IEEE Spectrum Online article “Why Software Fails,” the following list includes the top reasons associated with project failures:
- Unrealistic or unarticulated project goals
- Inaccurate estimates of needed resources
- Badly defined system requirements
- Poor reporting of the project’s status
- Unmanaged risks
- Poor communication among customers, developers, and users
- Use of immature technology
- Inability to handle the project’s complexity
- Sloppy development practices
- Poor project management
- Stakeholder politics
- Commercial pressures
That’s a pretty big list. Plus, the list covers an array of potential issues encompassing anything from communication issues to project management problems to technical difficulties. How do you identify whether or not you have a problem much less where in the problem lies? Here are some potential issues that might indicate there’s a bigger problem.
- Projects never get done on time or budget
- Broken builds get through to QA
- QA doesn’t know what the software is supposed to do or how to test it
- Fixes to one part of code result in a code break somewhere else
- Not knowing if the correct architecture is being used for an application
- Application is difficult to support
- Application is difficult to debug
With 30 years of Software Development experience and a dedication to industry best practices, Walling Info Systems can help ensure that you’re getting the most out of your Software Development Process. We will approach your staff with respect enabling us to partner with them to provide the support they require to excel.
Some benefits to our solutions include:
- Reduction in time it takes to get the product to market
- Reduced support costs
- Reduced development costs
- More efficient use of time by QA
- Improved product stability and usability resulting in fewer support calls
- Improved developer productivity
- Developers have a better sense of what they can do to meet the company’s current needs.
To better assess your needs, please contact us at 864-214-2748 to schedule a free, no obligation consultation. This will give us the opportunity to discuss in detail what problems you are encountering with your current projects as well as determine what potential solutions might be right for you and your software development team.
At Walling Info Systems we have an “open-door” policy. If at any point you have a general question feel free to give us a call at 864-214-2748.